Thursday, May 22, 2008

Neuchatel

It's the last real day of my travels. Tomorrow is just an early wakeup and a depressing long flight on a discount airline. I've never flown for more than two or three hours on a cheap airline, and I'm very concerned about the whole no-tv-no-legroom-no-food-no-water-claustrophobia thing. Ahh well, at least I have "home" to look forward to at the end of it. And, of course, it's home in the sense that I'll be back in Canada, but I'll have another adventure in making a brand new city, Halifax, my new home. Anyway, London today! Yesterday was great, although I didn't take many pictures because it was so incredibly dreary. Today I've planned two museums (Natural History & Victoria and Albert), an iconic shopping institution (Harrods) and a stroll through my favourite British shops. All are within walking distance so I can save myself a daypass on the tube. Let's backtrack again for some pictures of Switzerland. Kember is living with a French speaking Swiss couple in a place called Neuchatel (in the northwest of Switzerland). The city was charming and beautifully situated on a huge lake.



One day we met up with some of Kember's friends from language school to explore the city.
It was so nice just tagging on with Kember's life. The family she lives with are very kind, although I think they found it odd that I was a Canadian who didn't speak French! I found I recognized a lot of written French, and even understood quite a bit, but everytime I wanted to say something, I kept coming up with Spanish (gracias!) I asked Kember to take this picture of my first experience loading a dishwasher. They thought that was strange too, but I've just never lived in a house with a dishwasher!
The first night I arrived, Kember was running a 10 kilometre run in the mountains (crazy, yes). She had been running similar races for the last few weeks, and it's something people do for fun and community activity. The couple she stays with actually do the same route while "Nordic Walking." (hobby for Mom and Dad?) I was glad to go and explore the town and cheer her on, but it was so cold after coming straight from Barcelona. Kember loaned me a coat, but everyone was giving me very strange looks for wearing flipflops!
It was nice just to be in the mountains and get a glimpse of idyllic Swiss life!

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:55 AM