Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Flugtag!!!

Stacey and I headed to the 1st Australian Red Bull Flugtag on Sunday. I wonder if I'm the only one who has been dying to see it for years? There is something so inspiring about groups of people conceptualizing, designing and creating a flying machine, and then hurtling themselves off a 6 meter platform to almost certain failure (the equivalent of a belly flop).
There were some great ideas for the "flying machines." It's hard to tell, but this one is shaped like a giant flip flop. There were flying clocks, flying pizza, and a recreation of the Wright brothers' first airplane. The world record is 60 metres, but I think the farthest we saw was about 12. Oh well, it was the first year, hopefully the entrants will improve next year with experience!
We got there pretty early, and Stacey's friend had already staked out a spot on the hill. A very, very steep hill. The top soil was loose, and just trying to walk to our spot was terrifying. Although there were hundreds of people below me to break my fall, I just imagined the mortification of tumbling, Jack-and-Jill-style, down the hill. People just kept coming and coming. It was almost as entertaining watching the security guards try to direct crowds as watching the competition. It turns out they had been expecting about 20,000 people, and 60,000 showed up. And there certainly wasn't room!
And lastly, a couple of short videos I took of the competition: just so that you can really get a sense of it...

Posted by Kathleen @ 9:35 AM