Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wildlife

Carole said I should put up a picture of the local birds. These guys live in the trees outside my apartment, and they are more colourful than you can imagine. Entertaining too. They are called Rainbow Lorikeets. Also, I was pretty excited when Louise and Stacey pointed out a kookaburra at the outdoor cinema the other night. We went to see Juno with our vouchers from the rain-out of The Sound of Music. It was a great night, although it gets pretty cold here after sunset! Anyway, the kookaburra was just sitting at the front near the screen, and it was bigger than I expected (maybe 6-8 inches tall). Louise wanted me to try and make it laugh, but I think she really just wanted me to make a fool out of myself in front of hundreds of movie-goers! Anyway, did everyone else grow up with the song?
Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be, ha, ha, ha, Gay your life must be

Posted by Kathleen @ 7:08 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I've never heard that poem. We sure had our fill of listening to kookaburras at night. Though a novelty at first, when you live in a tent you come to loathe that sound.

Posted by Blogger Jill @ March 11, 2008 at 8:24 AM #
 
<< Home