Sunday, March 30, 2008

Animals at the Fair

Friday was such a great day that I'm going to split it into a couple of different blog posts. It's hard to come up with stories and pictures when I just spend the day answering customer service calls and going to the gym. Anyway, Friday was the Sydney Royal Easter Show (similar to the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto, and about the same size as the CNE). Louise and I met bright and early with a schedule of things to see. Although we didn't get to half of what we wanted to do, it was a perfect, unrushed day. Obviously the fair is focused around animals, so we did the obligatory walk through the cows and visit to the baby petting zoo. I'm intrigued by alpacas: mostly because I had never heard of the animal before I arrived in Australia. Was that an oversight in my education, did everyone else know they existed?
Louise dragged me through the dog show too. Not my favourite place, but I was very entertained by the judge for the dog show. He took his job very seriously.
We chose what day to visit the Fair based on the cat show. It was the "Pick a Breed" and "Pat a Cat" day. We walked from table to table where different breeders had cats in cages behind them and one on a table that you could stroke while learning about the breed (and if it would be suitable if you were looking for a pet). We spent about an hour an a half going through about 30 tables and having a good visit with each cat. Louise's favourite was the Scottish Fold Cat:

And mine was the long-haired Burmilla.

Someday I'll have a home so I can have a cat! More Fair pictures to come.

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:37 AM