Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rainy Sydney

I've mentioned before that this has been a wet and cool summer for Sydney. Great for farmers who've been suffering drought for years, but bad for most of Queensland that has been flooded for months. We've had a couple days of nice weather, until last night. And, of course, it was last night that Stacey, Louise and I had tickets for Moonlight Cinema. I had swapped shifts at work so that I got off early, and booked today off so I could stay up late. We were going to see The Sound of Music; an all-time favourite of Louise and I that Stacey had never seen (?!?) The sky had been a bit dark, but I was optimistic. We bought our picnic supplies in the city, and just as we were stepping on the bus, Louise announced "I think I felt a drop of rain!" Sure enough, within a minute, it was pouring outside. Thunder, lightning, flooded streets... the works. I received a helpful text that, due to weather, Moonlight Cinema would be cancelled, and we had already decided to head home. We had to run through the rain to get to the train station, and we were absolutely soaked. But within a half hour it was clear again! It turns out that the freak storm left a lot of damage throughout Sydney, and that more rain fell in 30 minutes, than the average rainfall for the month!

Posted by Kathleen @ 9:47 PM