Saturday, January 12, 2008

Day One of the Birthday Long Weekend

The alarm went off at 7:30 this morning, and there was only one thing that could pull me out of bed. No, not Krispy Kremes, although that would be a close second. The Sydney Festival is on, and they were selling $25 last-minute tickets on the day of the performance. The brochure said it was open from 8am, and even though I didn't think anyone else would really be there, I arrived in the city just after 8. Boy was I wrong. It turns out some people sleep overnight, and most people who get tickets arrive between 3am and 4am to line up. 3am, can you imagine? I consider myself an appreciator of the arts, but there is a line! Thankfully, it was kind of a fluke day when they had a lot of tickets to sell and not as many people in line, so I got one for the modern dance I planned to see. Then I did reward myself with Krispy Kreme before heading off to meet Louise in Cabramatta. This is the Vietnamese center of Sydney, with restaurants, shops and markets to explore.
We both got our hair done: Louise's straightened, mine cut. Ta da!
Then this evening I went to see the Spanish National Dance Company's performance of Alas. It had been a been to a dance performance, and it was superb.
Last night, I started off the weekend with La Boheme at the Opera House. I've never been so excited to leave work on a Friday!
The outside and inside of the opera theatre at intermission (there are five different theatres inside the Opera House).
It was a modern interpretation (set in the 1990's), which wasn't my favourite, but the music was perfect, and I get so emotionally involved when I listen to opera. Except for the Ring Cycle- that nearly killed me.
Day two of the birthday weekend is beach cricket, so stay tuned!

Posted by Kathleen @ 8:25 AM