Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Where is my liqourice?

Today's Australia lesson: red licorice is different here than in Canada. Jill and Brian would probably tell you it's not as good as home, but I LOVE Darrell Lea's "soft eating" liquorice. It comes in strawberry, green apple, mango or blackcurrant. So delicious. Anyway, It's become my favourite Aussie treat, but they've taken it away from me! Not literally, I guess, but all three shops near work and two stores near my home are all sold out. It's so disheartening to go from store to store and have your heart drop when the peg is empty. They've been sold out for two weeks! This makes me think there is some kind of shortage on red liquorice (one of my co-workers suggested it might have something to do with the sudden increase in demand since I moved to Sydney). I think anyone currently living in Canada should go to their local Shoppers' Drug Mart and try to find some Darrell Lea's (they were stocking them in Wolfville when I visited in February). Think of it as a cross-cultural experience! Anyway, I'm having the same trouble with my quest for the Starbucks Chinese New Year "Rat" bear. How can it be that all three stores I've visited don't stock them?

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:16 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Interesting spelling - I've never seen it spelled that way. I would think that you just spelled it wrong, but you have the picture!

Posted by Blogger Carole @ January 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM #
 

I called Starbucks. Interesting - I guess Starbucks North America and Starbucks International are entirely different countries. So, the merchandise carried is entirely different. Therefore, no Year of the Rat bears here. (Although after I finished explaining the entire concept and how cute it was, the customer service rep wanted to buy one!)

If you can't find one in Australia, I imagine there might be a few left in Hong Kong at the end of February? But I wouldn't count on it.

Posted by Blogger Carole @ January 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM #
 
<< Home