Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Traditions


I pretty much skipped to the post office yesterday to pick up my Christmas package from my family. Once again Carole had carefully chosen, wrapped and labelled about a dozen little gifts! Yeah! Is the labelling weird? Last year she numbered them so I would know what order to open them in! Maybe it's a twin thing.

Anyway, I've decided the customs declaration form is the best way to ruin a surprise! Has anyone else experienced this? I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a package determined not to read the customs list, but ended up glancing at it on the way from post office to home. So I have a new rule: in the post office, I use one hand to cover the form, and the other hand to rip it up and throw it away!

Another Christmas tradition: Indian giver (aka White Elephant gift exchange or Yankee Swap). For as long as I can remember, that game has been the main source of contention in family Christmas celebrations. Every single year there is a debate on if we should have Indian giver, if everyone should bring a gift or they should be supplied by the host (and thus of "equal" value) and, most of all, the rules! When I talked to my parents this week I was pleased to know that the tradition is continuing- the family is divided on whether to play Indian Giver this year.
"What if the little kids aren't happy with the presents they get?" ~Mom
"Tough cookies!" ~Carole

Posted by Kathleen @ 7:41 AM