Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Great News

First of all, yesterday was Melbourne Cup day. I can't get over how strange it is, and I feel like I need to enlighten my Canadian readers on this event. For one day, everyone in Australia goes horse-crazy. Everyone bets (even though they don't know anything about racing) and women get really, really dressed up. Businesses stop work to have special luncheons and hat-making contests (because tradition demands a hat!) Louise, my expert on Australian culture, thinks that the glamorous day has something to do with the fact that Aussies are so dressed-down in general. I spent my Melbourne Cup day in interviews- two in one morning! Each group interview was more like a series of tests, and each lasted about two hours. I didn't really have relevant experience, and those "behavioral questions" kill me (because my brain has a lot of trouble remembering situations and instances), but I felt pretty good about them both. Thankfully, I was offered both jobs, and took the one I really wanted. Starting on Monday I will be working for Flexi-rent, answering phones and helping people apply for a loan for a big ticket purchase (ie: I want to buy a laptop for Christmas). I'm very excited and relieved to have found a job and start my apartment hunt. Onto the fun news: Louise, her sister Sophia and I went to a taping of Australian idol! This picture is of us waiting in line, and the drag queen would make sense if you lived in Australia (part of a television commercial).
This is the set (yep, looks a lot like Pop Idol, Canadian Idol and American Idol, doesn't it?)

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:48 PM

Read or Post a Comment

This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted by Blogger Carole @ November 7, 2007 at 5:27 PM #
 

I'm watching the show now, so far I can't see you guys.

Crazy that Natalie is wearing the same shirt that Louise's sister is wearing. I guess the screen printed tie is the it item for the Australian summer?

And Guy Sebastian! Lucky you!

Posted by Blogger Carole @ November 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM #
 

So who was booted off that night? We miss watching it here - we don't get a chance to watch much tv, and I'm not even sure they show it here.

Posted by Blogger Jill @ November 8, 2007 at 1:31 AM #
 
<< Home