Monday, October 8, 2007

Thanksgiving?

I was thrilled to open up a little package in the mail today from Carole. Along with a DVD of Canadian shows, there was a very thoughtful Thanksgiving card. Which got me thinking: I wonder when Thanksgiving is? Imagine my surprise when a quick internet search reminded me that today is Thanksgiving! Yet another year goes by with an "international" celebration of Thanksgiving; being thankful without all the turkey and stuffing. I guess this is my seventh Thanksgiving when I was the only one celebrating it (America celebrates on a different day, Australia, Scotland and Taiwan haven't decided to be thankful yet). You don't realize until after you leave North America that everyone else in the world thinks the idea of pumpkin pie is disgusting. Anyway, I made a quick list of things that I'm most thankful for:
  1. Pretty much the best childhood a girl could ask for (and the best parents)
  2. A twin sister who is a daily reassurance that I am not alone

  3. The fact that I’m single and I don’t have to clean up after, cook for or plan my life around anyone else

  4. The opportunities I've had for a great education
  5. Friends who have understood and supported me, and allowed me the opportunity to learn from them

  6. Red licorice, wine gums and white chocolate

  7. Every stamp in my passport

I hope all Canadians have a wonderful day with friends and family while you remember everything you're thankful for!

Posted by Kathleen @ 8:48 AM