Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back To The City

For everyone who is trying to keep track of my wanderings, I have been back in Perth just for two days before I leave for Sydney tomorrow. I am so excited to board a train, find my seat and settle back with a blanket, book and ipod. I had so much fun shopping for food today- granola bars, fruit bars and those peanut butter/cracker packs: it reminds me so much of childhood train trips to visit Grammie. I'm even buying licorice and cheetos for old times' sake. As for reading material, I went out and bought some of Carole's "must-reads" (The Birth House by Ami McKay, White Teeth by Zadie Smith and Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein) as well as a random travel book at a used bookstore called Belonging by Isabel Huggan. I've just now realized that three of the four are by Canadian authors! Belonging is turning out to be the perfect book for me- it's about the search for "home" in your travels. (Carole, you have to read this: I'll send you my copy for safe-keeping when I get to Sydney). Only after I bought the book did I realize that she's a Canadian author and the book was first published by Knopf in Toronto!
The highlight of my morning was sitting in a cafe reading, and then I took a trip out to Ikea to buy a blanket for the train. All the blankets in the city were over $40, but I got one for $5 at Ikea. And I got to walk around, get a 2008 catalog and have a hot dog. I realized this is the sixth country I've been to an Ikea in. Is that weird? Anyway, it's hard to believe I've finished my work in Bakers Hill! It's so nice to wake up and not have to scrub a toilet, mop a floor or cook bacon and eggs. I was very sad to say goodbye to "my" cats though. Here are some pictures of the regulars.



Posted by Kathleen @ 2:56 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I love the new colour scheme. Oh, and I hope you enjoy the books. I would add Ian McEwan to that list, if you get a chance to go to that used bookstore (Elizabeth's?) before you leave. If you're in Perth, why don't you call?

Posted by Blogger Carole @ October 16, 2007 at 2:20 PM #
 
<< Home