Monday, September 10, 2007

Pictures

As promised, here are some pictures to help you imagine my life here in Bakers Hill. It feels very remote even though we are less than an hour's drive outside of Perth. I think the population of Bakers Hill is somewhere around 200 people- these two pictures show the main stretch of shops. In this direction is the Bakers Hill Tavern, a cafe, a hardware store and a gas station.
In this direction is the pie shop (Aussie style meat pies, not dessert pies), a garden nursery and a post office.
This is my bedroom at the Tavern. Very comfortable with my own TV!This is Tabby, one of two very affectionate longhaired cats.This is the view from the back.
And some pictures from inside.

It's hard to believe I've been here over a week! Exactly five more weeks to go. I would have to say that I'm very content here, but it's not exactly my favorite job. I can now say with certainty that I do not enjoy cleaning or cooking. I do, however, appreciate the lifestyle pace here. When I'm cleaning or cooking or even serving, my mind is totally relaxed. I don't wake up and run through my mental to-do list because it's already settled. I wanted a break, something stress-free and simple, and that's what I got. I do have to comment on something though. You know how in Canada, small towns are really friendly and laid back? Not true here. Some of the customers are the rudest and most impatient people I have ever met. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my fault, and that it's not a crime to have a university diploma (not very highly regarded around here, I tell you!) Don't worry though, most people are very nice to me and patient while I'm learning. And I'm finding out so much about farming, mining, horse training and dog breeding!

Posted by Kathleen @ 5:52 AM