Monday, September 3, 2007

Day Off

It's been four days now, and I'm definitely getting the hang of my new "job". The actual work is fine, but it's a big adjustment to the lifestyle. It's a long day: cleaning around 9am, break for coffee, breakfast and then a shower, and then a few breaks during the day to rest my knees or check email. We close whenever the customers clear out, between 8 and midnight it seems. Also, it takes a lot of my energy to try to make conversation with the "regulars". I don't seem to have a lot in common with the customers, and sometimes I don't have the slightest clue what they are saying. Oh well, I'm trying. Today was my first day off (well, after I finished cleaning that is). As Carole predicted, I had an offer from one of the locals to show me around the area, and we went to York (founded 1831).
We toured the old courthouse We walked over a swinging bridge
We went to a beautiful lookout. (By the way, those are my new glasses).
We had lunch at a cafe at an old flour mill that now houses incredibly beautiful (and expensive) Jarrah wood furniture. It was a great way to see the countryside and tourist sites, but I'm also glad to spend the rest of my day off flopped on the couch watching "Australian Idol".

Posted by Kathleen @ 7:29 AM