Thursday, August 30, 2007

FYI

I am finally settled in Australia and no longer living out of a suitcase! What a relief to have my own room (with a TV!), my own bathroom and two cats to play with. Bakers Hill is very small- about 6 buildings on a stretch of highway, but we're about a 10 minute drive from a great small town (about the size of Wolfville, I'd say). The Tavern is great so far, but I have a lot of customers names to learn, along with prices, routines, etc. I'm not worried about any of that, but I may be responsible for cooking dinner for myself and the manager in the evening (real meat in something called a "slow cooker"). Yikes. I have yet to reveal my total inability in kitchen matters (do you think I can wing it?) In my defense, there was no mention of cooking on the job description! It seems like it will be long days: waking up to clean in the morning before opening, serving all day until close (anytime between 9pm and midnight). I'm hoping there will be a few hours break in there somewhere! The owners are a mother and son from Scotland who seem really nice and easy to work with. If I can figure out the cooking and keep my stamina up, I think I'll really enjoy myself and learn a lot in these six weeks. Anyway, I do have internet access (although I don't really want to be on here for hours on my first day, do I?) and there will be pictures to come.

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:16 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Just saw your blog and it looks like you're having a great time! But how can you not understand slow cooker or flat white? ahh my poor little canadian. flat white is just a coffee w/milk - like a cappucino, but without the big foamy head = FLAT.
about winging it for dinner, if worse comes to worse, you could just make your infamous coconut-potato cookies :)

at least now u understand how i felt walking down streets and escalators in Taiwan on the left (but alas, now i'm in sydney, I find i've grown used to walking to the right and am getting some huffy stares for always going the wrong way)

Posted by Blogger Louise Ryan @ September 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM #
 
<< Home